Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Becoming a Lion Chaser

I'm reading a book by Mark Batterson called, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. The book is based on 2 Samuel 20-21 about Benaiah, who later became the captain of King David's guard. Included in his short resume is the line, "Another time he chased a lion down into a pit. Then, despite the slippery ground, he caught the lion and killed it."(Batterson 9-10) The author goes on to describe what a crazy and terrifying experience this must have been for Benaiah, and also the absurdity of his chasing the lion in the first place, considering the high probability of death. The application for you and I is brilliant, though. Batterson explains how the biggest, most ferocious lions in our lives can also be the best opportunities given to us by God. But we each have a choice to make. Will we be courageous like Benaiah, take the risk, and experience the life change that God desires for us, or will we shrink from risk just to stay comfortable?

I, for one, am tired of being comfortable. I am ready to chase whatever lion God has for me. For the past two years God's hand has been heavy upon me to discover why I am here. I have long known about my inherent worth in God's sight, but I still struggled to find meaning in the things I do, such as having a family, education, work, and ministry. Dr. Katie Brazelton's book, Praying for Purpose and the accompanying Prayer Journey have been instrumental in my discovery of God's unique purpose for my life. I cannot help but proclaim that God can be trusted, and my main audience is women of varying spiritual stages. My desire is for women to know their full worth in Jesus Christ and to scale whatever wall stands before them so that they might behold the beauty of their unique footprint on this earth for the glory of God.

Today I had the privilege of speaking with Dr. Brazelton about becoming a Life Coach through Life Purpose Coaching Centers International. God has brought me here and I choose to chase my lion. I will never know what God has in store for me if I do not move forward in obedience to Him. He has proved to me over and over that He can be trusted and though the ground may get slippery, I know Jesus will direct my steps.

No comments: