Monday, September 15, 2008

Back into the Routine

All summer I had this nagging feeling that it would be so nice to get "back into the routine" with the kids when fall finally came. We are now into the third week of school and I'm kicking myself for wishing summer away. I have a second grader and a Kindergartener this year, as well as a preschooler and a toddler. The break I'd been waiting for all summer is proving to be a little over-rated with two busy little fellas still at home. On that first full day of school when I whisked my girls onto the bus and headed back inside I thought, "I've got the whole day to get the house back in order, make dinner, do some church business, get the laundry done, plant some plants and be Super Mom to my little boys!" You may think I am delusional, but this was actually my expectation. I know, I know, totally unrealistic right? Well, I think I did manage to get the dishes done between cleaning up spilled milk in the dining room and a half-a-bag of cereal dumped and crunched in the living room. The boys had a nap and I was able to get a few quiet moments in with Jesus; something that proved especially hard during those summer months. So I'm figuring out that our family is, once again, in transition. We anticipate the changing seasons of life so much and then find ourselves floundering when they finally come knocking on the door. That first week of school I really didn't know if this "getting up early" thing was going to work. But today, Sweet Monday!, I am finally able to sit down and write. My dishes are done, the kitchen is clean, I've done and processed two loads of laundry and my sweet little friends are napping! Life is good. I feel like I'm getting back into the routine. I like predictability. I thrive on routines and when I don't have one I not only waste an incredible amount of time, but I am much less effective as a Wife, Mom and Friend. I am so thankful for the changing rhythms of life that keep things interesting. Summer was great. We went to the beach more than I ever have and had one terrific garden. My kids got to play with other children in the neighborhood and we pretty much let each day take us where it would. I am glad fall is here, and school and routines. But I am not going to wish for Thanksgiving or Christmas or Spring or Summer too soon. I am going to enjoy each structured day to the fullest extent and rest in the fact that I don't have to do this routine forever!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Penny. You are so right. I spent a lot of time wishing the days away when there were diapers and naps and feedings...but I also remember hearing my mom and others tell me that these days would be gone in a moment and I'd be wishing them back. They were right. Now that I'm on the other side of it, I long for the days when I just had babies on the floor and a movie camera taking down all the important "firsts", and longing for a moment alone with my Jesus. Now, I have teenagers running in and out with schedules that are so hard to manage, and still growing in front of my eyes, staying up late doing homework and I'm still longing for time alone with my Jesus. So, you are right...enjoy each day to the full, spend all the time you can with Jesus and just love on those little ones so when they grow old, they will "rise up and call you blessed." I must say the high priority we gave to raising our kids instead of career has certainly paid off in the relationship department. I pray for you a home that delights in the simple every days. Blessings to you, Cathy Reich