Monday, June 23, 2008

Hope For A Hopeless World

One of our friends from church passed away suddenly on Saturday night. Her battle with cancer was short; only six months or so. It seems like every time I turn around someone has cancer or some other tragedy happens. The world can seem so dark, so hopeless. We do live in a damaged world where evil sometimes seems to reign. But I'm thankful that God is in control even when things seem out of control. I don't know the reference off hand, but there is a verse in the Bible which says that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him. He does have a good plan for each of us, but I've learned that good doesn't always mean easy. When I choose to do what God asks of me, I always see His power at work. The thing is, the stakes continue to get higher. For our friend, they were very high. But she remained faithful to her Lord until the end and she is with Him now. I would have loved to see the look on her face when Jesus said to her, "Well done good and faithful servant." When you trust Christ with your life your place in heaven is secure, whether death comes sooner or later. We just never know when our time will come or someone close to us. This is why I feel so strongly about sharing my faith with people, but especially those I love. The Bible says that there is one way to heaven and that is through a relationship with Jesus. Friends, if you haven't trusted Him yet, please don't wait. We are all dying, it is only a matter of time. And I am so glad that this broken world is not all we have. The place Jesus is preparing for us is perfect beyond our imaginations. I'm thankful that my friend's struggle is over and that she has reached the place she prepared for her whole life. My prayer is for peace and comfort to the loved ones she left behind today and in the days to come.

No comments: